Should I be worried about having pelvic pain with clear fluid discharge from vagina?

Hi I am a 21 year old female with a 2 and a half year old child. I went to the obgyn today to get a pap and have a lot of problems with pelvic pain. Anyways, a few hours later when I came home I had a sudden gush of clear fluid with no odor... It was enough to soak my pants and underwear as well as a pad that i put on after. It felt similar to water breaking during pregnancy but I am not pregnant. I'm a little freaked out. Nothing like this has happened before. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: A single episode is not significant. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting us. Vaginal discharge in a non-pregnant lady is considered significant if it is foul smelling, colored or too much. A single episode of clear vaginal discharge after a vaginal procedure is not really significant. However your history of pelvic pain & Dysmenorrhea is important & may be a sign of some underlying pelvic pathology. So, it is advisable that you have one vaginal swab test to exclude infection & one pelvic ultrasound to exclude other pathologies. If both these tests are normal & Pap results are normal too there is nothing to worry about. Hope I have addressed your concerns. Best regards.
Follow-up: Should I be worried about having pelvic pain with clear fluid discharge from vagina? 24 minutes later
Hi, thank you for your response, I am not freaking out anymore haha. How soon would you suggest I have a follow up done? I would also like to add that I have a history of continuous ovarian cysts that rupture fairly frequently, but I've never experienced this. Is it possible that a large cyst could have ruptured and produced that much fluid? I'm 6 days late on my menstrual cycle and I'm now experiencing back and pelvic pain, but nothing too severe. The Dr. ran a pregnancy test and it came back negative as well as all tests for infections. I've also recently had excess white clumpy discharge but no infection is present. This has been ongoing for the past 6 months or so. It is not like normal vaginal secretion and it looks and feels like tissue matter and it is not moist or sticky, but there is a large quantity. If you could possibly shed light on this that would be great, the OB I saw today did not really answer my questions. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Report back with your Pap results. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your question. Ovaries are pelvic organs. When a cyst ruptures, fluid accumulates inside the body cavity & get absorbed later on. It is not expected to come out through your vagina. Your thick white vaginal discharge which has been proven to be non-infectious may have a relation to your cystic ovaries & late cycles. When a women has prolonged cycles, hormones are in excess & this may produce excessive thick white vaginal discharge. Clumpy white discharge may indicate thrush or fungal infection but it is a clinical diagnosis & can only be diagnosed after a physical examination. This can usually be treated by Anti-fungal creams or tablets. I think you should consult back your doctor with your Pap smear report, whenever it is ready. You should also discuss your doctor about the type of your ovarian cysts & the diagnosis he/ she has made. Hope this answers your questions. Wish you good health.