Should I be concerned about inverted nipple that comes and goes?

i have had an inverted nipple that comes and goes. This has been going on for about five years. Is this something that is really bad? It is scaring me about half to death!
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO worries for now Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I really do not think you need to worry much. The fact that it comes and goes could most likely imply it responds to hormonal changes. However, other symptoms like pain, any lumps in the breast, any neighboring lymph nodes are important to be noted. In case you do not have any of these, there is no need to worry for now. It is important to note if you have any family history of breast disease or breast cancer. A proper clinical review of the breast and neighboring regions by your doctor, could be a cautious and reasonable thing to do. Regular breast examinations and mammography, as recommended should be done. IN case of a lump, pain , changes in skin around breast, lymph nodes or any abnormal finding on mammogram, coupled with a family history, a timely and appropriate decision shall be taken. I suggest you book an appointment with your doctor. For now, I do think you really need NOt bother. Is it something serious at this point in time from your description, I think NO. Be calm as you wait to see your doctor. Feel free asking follow up questions. I would be glad to make my humble suggestions. Kind regards Dr Bain
Follow-up: Should I be concerned about inverted nipple that comes and goes? 2 hours later
Thank you so much. No, only time I ever have any pain is when I drink too much coffee. Had a breast exam back in Sept nipple was perfectly normal then. Dr said no lumps, etc, said all looked fine. I am having a mammogram on Friday and they said an ultrasound too if necessary as my breasts are dense. You have made me feel so much better. I kept reading crap on the internet and getting myself panicked. Hopefully it was for nothing. Thanks again. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanking you too Detailed Answer: Thanks so much. I will be glad contributing in case you will need my help in future. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain.