Sharp pain in back and hip bone. Feeling discomfort in lower abdomen. What is causing this?

Dec 2012

I have a sharp, but not stabbing continual pain on my right side. It is in the area next to my hip bone, radiates around my hip to the right side of my back. It is more uncomfy when I sit down, or push around that area to see exactly where it is. The discomfort spreads across lower abdomen, but is not too bad. Having to control pain with breathing exercises. I have 5 children, so know all about that. I shouldn't be pregnant and my last period ended 2 weeks ago. I am 45, just. No bowel or urine problems, all working ok and pain free. Any ideas?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thank you for posting on HCM

From your description you are having an acute abdomen which could be appendicitis (right iliac fossa pain around the point where you are describing is suggestive of appendicular infection). We also need to rule out nephritic colic or pain due to kidney infection or kidney stone and given the fact that you are female of reproductive age it will be important to rule out acute Pelvic Inflammatory diseases (infection of your pelvic structures/tubes etc). From the 3 impressions the most likely is appendicitis given its predominance.
Your CT scan.
Your situation should be considered urgent as it might require emergency appendisectomy.

Hope this helps and write back if you got further questions
Dr Nsah