Sharp pain in arm, loss of registering movement, history of anxiety and seizures. Cause?

hi there, im a 27 yr old female, with a medical history of anxiety and seizures. on friday i found i had a sharp pain in the middle of my arm that came and went but actually made me not register movement to my hand, was kind of delayed. im not sure what it could have been from but the next morning it was still a bit sore but went away and never returned. any idea?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Loss of proprioception (as you have experienced as loss of registering movement of your arm) is most likely a part of Absence seizure ( a type of seizure that your doctor might think so) - it is an on and off phenomenon, and not constant. There are many symptoms experienced by patients like you. The manifestations vary. But, what is important is to just cut down your anxiety as that might help a lot in living with these kind of irregular symptoms.

I am sure there is nothing wrong with your muscles, nerves in your hand. The sharp pain could be due to the firing of impulses that often happens in seizures, due to the low threshold of potentials. Don't worry much, report if these are continuous or intolerable.

Topiramate is a good broad spectrum anti seizure drug and should work both for your epilepsy and pain.

Get real help for cutting anxiety like lifestyle changes/exercise/meditation etc suited to your needs. You should do fine. If fainting spells persist - keep an eye on blood sugar levels too in between.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.