Sexually transmitted diseases, pregnancy. Can these cause low iron and high enzyme levels?

My question: is an STD or pregnancy associated with Low iron and High liver numbers?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Pregnancy can be associated with low serum iron due to excess consumption and precarious prepregnant iron stores. Pregnancy per se is not associated with any changes in SGOT or SGPT but the serum Alkaline phosphatase raises as the placenta also contributes to the serum levels.

STD's can alter the liver enzymes as some of them like syphilis, Chlamydiae and Gonococci can infect the liver as well. Any long drawn illness can result in secondary iron deficiency.

Hope I have answered your query. Please write back if you have any doubts.