Severe painful boils near buttock,stomach problem

Hi, I am very desperate in this case and am in need of help. I am extremely embarrassed of this situation. I keep getting extremely painful boils near my buttocks. I get them every 3 months or so almost regularly. I do not know why that is and what I can do to prevent them. I also don't know what type of doctor I need to see for this. I cannot take antibiotics due to stomach problems, and I actually have taken antibiotics for my boils in the past, which did not speed up the healing process. Please help, I am honestly begging for it, I am in so much pain I feel like I am about to faint. This really interferes with me having a normal life and I can't tell anyone about this. Thank you so much for reading.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 6 hours later

The description of your symptoms is possibilly be Chronic Folliculitis. If so, this is a common condition which we see in our practice. You need to take a long term antibiotic course. The choice of antibiotic also depends upon the sensitivity to the organism. You need to get a prescription of good antibiotic like amoxicillin with cloxacillin or azithromycin. These all can be prescribed a dermatologist whom you can consult. They are the right person for any skin problem.

Locally you can use mupirocin ointment or cream 3-4 times a day. In such cases the reason for recurrent attacks is the source of infection in the body. Most probable source of infection is nasal area and anus (since we constantly touch these areas). Therefore its important to apply mupirocin cream over peri-nasal area ,peri-anal area and over tip of fingers. This you should apply daily 3-4 times for may be 6 months. Its also important to keep the area clean and if you have hairs over buttocks then probably a hair removal method should also help you.

In case you still get recurrent attacks of folliculitis, then in such cases we prefer giving rifampicin tablet which again could be prescribed by a dermatologist. This needs to be taken for long time.
Avoid using any moisturizer or any oil if you are using over the area.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries’.