Severe pain in the thigh and knee, stiffness in quadriceps. Tried Fentanyl patch. Advice?

I have suffered with extreme pain over my left thigh and knee, now for five years. At first Dr.'s thought it was a lumbar spine problem, but after 4 MRI's consultation with 2 neurosurgeons, 1 orthopedic surgeon, they see nothing that they can operate on. Physio does not help, tens or interferential neither. GP recommends that I stay with painkillers for the duration. Is there any possibility that it could be a schwannoma on the femoral nerve, or its branches. When the pain first came on there was a component that went up into my left testicle. I have managed to get of a 75 mcgs Fentanyl patch, but the pain continues, particulatly when I attempt to walk any distance, The main complaint now is extreme stiffness in my quadriceps.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jyoti Patil 11 hours later

I have read through your query and I feel sorry for the agony you are going through due to health issue.

I work in association with experienced Orthopedician and I answer on behalf of him after discussion about your query.

It would be nice if you had provided me the details of previous MRI reports. But considering your history, I exclude the possibility of lumbar spine pathology which is usually first one to be considered.

You are right. There can be a possibility of femoral nerve involvement and Schwannoma is one among the cause.

Doing Neurologist. Further radioimaging techniques such as CT/MRI scans of the affected limb can help us to recognize the problem if any.

Stiffness in quadriceps muscles could be secondary to limited use of muscle due to pain. I would suggest you follow physiotherapy on long term basis to avoid complications like this.

Till that time continue with your painkillers as suggested by your doctor. Take rest and avoid over exertion like long distance walk.

You can also take Nerve Vitamins like Neurobion/Nervigen which is available over the counter.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.