Severe hip pain, fusion of neck from crest bone, painful, nauseating, pancreatic problems, elevated alkaline phosphatase, weakness

Severe hip pain since fusion of neck from crest bone in 98. Constant aching from L hip to lower back. Can't lay or sleep more than 3 hrs without crushing organ pain thru torso, waist and back, nauseating pain goes up my spine from tailbone from time to time. many xrays do not show anything but SI & L5 bulge. But I'm shrunk 2" last yr. Pancreatis problems but do not drink. Alkaline phosphate levels are elevated for some odd reason, and blood cells do not mature fast enough even tho' I have too much iron. Really weird ...OSurg. took bone scan but dr there requested 3D scan...why? What could be going on. No results heard yet...can you share your opinion. I think something in my torso area is being crushed somehow once I lay down...its crippling, I wake up crying and even screaming from pain. but getting up walking helps shake it off. .but hip pain is constant. never stops now. Can't use left leg much anymore, getting weaker. Tks in advance. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later

I understand your pain.

The symptoms you have described involving your back and hip pain seems to be due to a spine problem.

Specially the decrease in height by 2 inches might be due to a vertebral body collapse and the resulting symptoms may have been due to the nerve impingement or compression.

An MRI of the whole spine will help in diagnosis.

If the pain is so unbearable then you need to have medical attention early.

For symptomatic relief, you can take a good muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside in consultation with your orthopaedician.

Adding gabapentin and methylcobalamin can relieve nerve related pains.

An MRI of operated hip will also be helpful in diagnosing any problem as a result of surgery done so long ago.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:

- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.

- Apply analgesic spray or ointments.

- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.

- Avoid lifting heavy objects.

- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.

- Avoid exercises in times of pain.

- Improvise your posture while sitting.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Severe hip pain, fusion of neck from crest bone, painful, nauseating, pancreatic problems, elevated alkaline phosphatase, weakness 21 hours later
Hello Dr. Tayal, I have had an mri and it only shows L5 slight bulge. Nothing significant. I just had a bone scan but the dr doing the test requested a 3d bone scan...why would they do was not originally ordered? Why would a graft from hip crest continue to hurt and ache like a toothache if it was done in 98. Doesn't make any sense and getting progressively worse. Whats up with the 3d scan. Do they do this if they see something significant that needs more indepth study? Your answers were basic. I was hoping for more than that. I don't have pinched nerves. We've ct'd and mri'd and xray'd...nothing shows up. Could this pain all be from a new ms symptom as I was told in 97 I may have it since I have white spots mylen degeneration on the brain...but nothing more happened, so they didnt brand me with it. I have a twin with dystonia of the neck. Could this be a problem for me also?
Thanks for your help. I won't find out a thing till 2 wks. hate to wait that long ...
worried.. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

I understand your anxiety about the diagnosis. Since your X-rays, CTs and MRIs are all normal, they have ordered a 3D scan to identify any lytic bony lesion.

Persistent pain in the crest after it was operated in 1998 may be due to osteoporosis or some bony lesion like myeloma.

The bone scan results only can predict some problem. In some cases it becomes very difficult to make a diagnosis without actually examining the patient.

Dystonia of neck is not a likely possibility in your case at this age.The average age of onset is 12 to 18 yrs.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you an early recovery.