What causes numbness,redness,loss of taste and ncreased salivation in mouth and what is the cure?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Corners of mouth. numb insude and out. Slight redness. Slight loss of taste in numb areas. Increased salivation. No sores inside or out. No red or white spots or patches. No pain. No nausea. No headaches. No sore throat. No swelling or lumps. Antibiotics (amoxicillon, keflex) didnt work. Antibiotic cream, abreeva, carmex not helping either. Been three months with no change. 50yr old dont drink. Smoked 5yrs but quit. Take multivitamin daily. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 6 hours later
Brief Answer: could be reflux or vitamin deficiency Detailed Answer: hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem. At the offset I understand that you have taken multiple course of antibiotics for your problem with no relief then it is safe to say that you do not have any respiratory or other infection. Since infection is unlikely in your case then the other common cause for your symptoms could be just a reflux or a vitamin deficiency. We need to take care of them as follows: 1. Take only bland diet with lots of green leafy vegetables 2. Avoid anything spicy, hot or high flavoured 3. I would almost always advice an antireflux medication like pantoprazole for my patients for at least a month or so. Your doctor will know about this. 4. You are taking a multivitamin, make sure you take one with zinc which is good for tissue healing and regeneration like zincovit. Your doctor will know about this too. 5. Stop all anti biotics and do not take any cream either 6. Have meals at regular times and never skip a meal 7. Reduce your stress levels and try to maintain an ideal weight and do regular exercise 8. Do not immediately lie down after a meal and do not wear tight dresses when you sleep. If you are not improving with these measures then you must do these: a. Get an upper GI endoscopy b. get a throat swab c. Get a full hematology profiling done including vitamin levels measurements And get back to me or any ENT with the reports. Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to answer any more doubts that you may have. Regards and get well soon Dr Sriram Nathan