Severe headaches. On pamelor and imitrex. Have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Should I have other tests?

I have been dealing with severe headaches for a few months now and having at least 3 a week. They usually begin in the afternoon and last until I have to lay down and just go to sleep. My doctor has put me on Pamelor every day and Imitrex when needed for migraines but doesn't feel like migraines again. I feel kind of out of it a lot of the time and have a lot of issues with my neck. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type I and III. Are there other tests I should have run and other things this could be other than migraines?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

It seems extraordinary, that a young woman like you, could have so many serious health issues. I wonder if some psychotherapy might help. I say this, not to suggest for one minute that your problems are in any way psychosomatic, far from it. One wonders however if there may not be some, as yet unearthed, historical background noises exacerbating your illnesses.

As for your headaches, I agree with you. They are certainly not typical of migraine. People with migraine do not just lie down in the afternoon and , as it were, sleep it off. Typically, you can not sleep through migraine, the pain is too severe.

You probably should have a CT (Computed tomography) or a MRI(Magnetic resonance imaging) scan to rule out other possible causes for your headaches. However, again I find myself drawn to the bigger question which is this: Why is this young woman experiencing so much ill health?

I hope that I have answered your question insomuch as there is any answer. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.