Severe hair loss. Had a miscarriage. Treatment?

Hi sir
this is Geetha from Bangalore
my hair is falling like anything i lost so much hair
is there any good remedy for this ..i heard abt cutis today frm my frnd
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Follow-up: Severe hair loss. Had a miscarriage. Treatment? 5 minutes later
i have so much hair fall and i wanted to XXXXXXX doctor immediately ...when should i expect my appoinment with doctor in Cutis?
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 2 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

In females there are various reasons for hair loss. Common causes of hair loss in females are –iron deficiency, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problem, stress, lack of sleep, familial, or use of chemical on scalp, procedures like perming or straightening etc. Other rare causes are zn & copper def. One has to find the exact cause of hair loss and treat.

In females there are various patterns of hair loss, which can be judged clinically by a dermatologist.
There are certain tests which can help decide the cause. You can get your hormonal level checked along with an ultra sound if necessary to rule out PCOD (hormonal cause of hair loss in females). This usually seen in obese patient with irregular periods. Serum iron level, hemoglobin, T3, T4, TSH etc should also be carried out.

Other simple test which we do are hair pull test and trichogram to diagnose which type of hair loss is there.

After proper diagnosis one can start with topical preparations like Minoxidil 2%-5% applied twice daily on scalp along with tab biotin one daily.Other hormonal medicines are also available if needed.

Also improve your diet with XXXXXXX leafy veg, fresh fruits, plenty of water, sprouts, pulses, high protein diet, avoid items with high sugar content like sweets & chocolates, less of Chinese foods, less of pizza & burgers, more of milk & ghee, dry fruits. Good sleep also has a important role to play.

Certain good clinic also have lasers to prevent hair loss. If baldness sets in, then one can go for hair transplantation also.

You can consult any good dermatologist in Bangalore who can surely help you in this. There is a cutis clinic in XXXXXXX nagar, but you need to check the credibility yourself before going there. You can call up the center for an appointment, but please ask for a dermatologist where ever you go.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Bharat chawda.
Follow-up: Severe hair loss. Had a miscarriage. Treatment? 15 hours later
how much iron do we need to control the hair fall?
actually i have iron deficiency also i am gaining more weight.i am newly married ?
any particular reasons for this?
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later

Thank you for writing back,

The normal serum iron level in Women is 50 to 170 μg/dL, so we need to control it within this range. But iron in our body reflects in the form of hemoglobin. So we also need to see the hemoglobin level in blood. The normal level in female is 12 to 15 gm/dL.
Anything below this can lead to hair loss.

Since you mentioned that you are gaining weight, I would suggest that you get a lower abdomen ultrasound done to rule out PCOD (polycystic ovary disease) & even T3,T4,TSH level done to rule out thyroid problem. Both these abnormalities can lead to hair loss. Certain other blood tests like serum testosterone level, LH/FSH & DHEAS should also be done to rule out PCOD.

Weight gain is seen in both PCOD & Hypothyroidism.

You can consult a endocrinologist for this and a dermatologist in tandem. The exact reason for iron deficiency should also be found out.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any .

“Wish you Good Health”.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Follow-up: Severe hair loss. Had a miscarriage. Treatment? 2 hours later
Actually i am newly married and 3 moths back my miscarriage happened...from that time onwards my periods also became irregular...also i am gaining weight ?

Can i knw is this becoz of miscarriage?

also I am having folic acid tablets now..
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 44 minutes later
Hello again Mrs. XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back,

I am sorry to hear that, but yes miscarriage can lead to hair loss as its nothing but a stressful condition.After 3 months of any stressful condition hair loss is known to occur and this type of hair loss is called Telogen Effluvium(TE).

A similar hair loss(TE) occurs even after delivery ,accident or even after jaundice.

This can be corrected by use of minoxidil solution topically over scalp.

Weight gain though may not be because of miscarriage ,but may be due to irregular periods.

Hope this answers your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any .

“Wish you Good Health”.

Dr.Bharat chawda