Severe bronchitis, pneumonia, cough, rib pain, inflammed rib cartilage. Prescribed aleve. Is the medication right?

2 months ago i had a severe Brhoncitis and possible pneumonia. for the past month after getting over the coughing and being sick; i have had a pain in my ribs on the right side. severe pain when i lay down or sit up. i get a sharp pain if i have a slight cough now or a sneeze. I saw my doctor and they said it could possibly be the cartlidge between the ribs is enflamed and irritated but they never did an x-ray. instead she did an EKG and found that there is no issue with my heart. i have slight swelling on my right side. i was informed to take aleve twice a day and i would be fine. doesn't seem right to
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 minutes later

It is a very common presentation after chronic severe cough for the costochondral junctions to be inflamed.

Your doctor is right in saying it is due to the inflammation and rest is the best solution for the same.

Also this pain would be more in some due to concomitant strain in the muscles attached to the ribs there.

There would be no need of an Xray here as it could not be identified and also I do not suspect it to be any fracture in the rib as the ribs fracture will be severely pain ful and hinder the movements in the upper limb.

Do apply Diclofenac gel over the affected area for early recovery.

Wish you good health.