Ask a Urologist   »  

Semen analysis report show sperm count zero. Had mumps orchitis and inflammation of the testis. On prozac and Temazepam. Reason?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I'm attaching semen analysis report.......can you please analyse it properly and let me know why the sperm count is zero.....about 13 yrs back I had mumps orchitis ,inflammation of the testis...is it possible to catch mumps at that age?.I was on prozac and Temazepam for about 3 yrs due to personal issues.........or could it be due to some other reasons??..........e-mail ( YYYY@YYYY )
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the report of your semen analysis that you have posted it appears that you have Azoospermia meaning there by that there are no sperms in your semen.

I shall be happy if you post me few more details to help me to make comments on your problem.
1) Are you married and do you have children ?
2) Have you any time in the past did semen analysis ? and what were the findings ? Were there sperms in the semen ?

This could be due to either
1) There is no production of sperms by your Testicles or
2) There is blockage in passage of sperms from Testicles to seminal vesicle.

The reason for testicles not producing sperms may be due to Orchitis that you had to secondary to mumps 13 years back.Mumps can catch at this age too.

In view of history of Mums and Orchitis there is possibility of sperms not being produced by your testicles ,This can be confirmed by doing bilateral Testicular Biopsy to assess whether there is spermatogenesis or not.

If biopsy report turns out to be positive for spermatogenesis( Sperms are produced by Testicles) , it suggests that there is blockage in the passage of sperms from Testicles to Seminal vesicle 'This can be confirmed by doing radiological investigation like
Vaso -Vasogram to see the patency of Vas Difference.

Please consult qualified urologist for clinical assessment and get these tests done under his guidance.

Further treatment will depend upon the outcome of these tests.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: Semen analysis report show sperm count zero. Had mumps orchitis and inflammation of the testis. On prozac and Temazepam. Reason? 9 hours later
yes,I have two daughters born in 1988 and 1991.........got re-married and was trying for a baby, it was not happening and that's why I got the semen analysis done.I guess becuse I was on sleeping pills and prozac during the time I got mumps never really bothered about it and got the orchitis..........what do you think??..what exactly is mumps orchitis?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 9 hours later
Hello
Thanks sor feedback.
You have 2 daughters suggests that you had normal spermatogenesis before 1991 and had mums orchitis in 2000.Mums orchitis is a viral disease that primarily affects the Parotid glands and Testicles that damages XXXXXXX structure of the Testicles resulting into complete stoppage of production of the sperms by testicles.

This explains the reason of absence of sperm in your semen.

If you are curious to confirm the fact you can go ahead and confirm it by doing Testicular Biopsy.This is as small surgery done under local anaesthesia where a small piece of testicular tissue is removed for microscopic examination .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
There is neither medical nor surgical solution to this problem.
You have to accept the reality

Follow-up: Semen analysis report show sperm count zero. Had mumps orchitis and inflammation of the testis. On prozac and Temazepam. Reason? 4 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX
Thank you for your help in clarifying the issue. My wife wants me to go the fertility clinic, she is hopeful that they might do something...I have told her nothing can be done.....you know how women are. I would really appreciate if you could write in a letter form that after checking the semen analysis and information about orchitis it is not possible to have baby and there is neither medical nor surgical solution to this problem.....
I would thank you from the bottom of heart for your help.
Thanking you very much in anticipation.
Best of regards and thanks again.
Ranbir Chohan

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
You can show our discussion on this forum to your wife.Since I have not carried out clinical examination I can not issue any certificate .

If she still insist you to consult Infertility specialist take her along with you so that the specialist can explain her nature of your problem and convince her .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Semen analysis report show sperm count zero. Had mumps orchitis and inflammation of the testis. On prozac and Temazepam. Reason? 3 days later
Hello Dr.
are there any tests to check whether I had orchitis after so long, since I had it 13 yrs ago?....any blood work and ultrasound etc.?.....is biopsy the only way to find it out now?..........and what are the complications other than no production of sperms I should be worried about?....when touching the testicles they are sometimes sensitive to touch and painful. Is it OK?..........thanks.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
Biopsy is the most reliable confirmative test to assess the spermatogenesis.
There are no complications after a gap of 13 years.
Mild testicular pain on touch does not signify any major problem and can be contolled by taking pain killer like Brufen.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

would the orchitis infection show in blood test and ultra sound of testicles?

Thank you Dr.,
I'm afraid of biopsy.........If I want to find out- and get the ultrasound of testicles and blood test done ,would it show in these tests that I had orchitis???

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for writing again.
The orchitis that you had 13years ago may not reflect in ultrasound scanning today.
Ultrasound scanning detects the present status of the particular organ where as Biopsy will reveal functional and structural changes in the organ(Testis) it may be due to old disease.

In your case it is utmost important to confirm whether there is spermatogenesis or not which will be confirmed only by Biopsy.There is no other test that will give 100 proof of spermatogenesis.

Testicular biopsy is very simple procedure done under local anaesthesia as a out door procedure.

Thanks and regards.

. Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Semen analysis report show sperm count zero. Had mumps orchitis and inflammation of the testis. On prozac and Temazepam. Reason? 2 days later
Hello Dr.,
I have searched more about it on line..........there was a suggestion that hormone FSH level ( blood test ) should be checked .....what is it ?....can it show if there are sperms in testes ??

Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
Blood test for FSH will not help to confirm sperm production.

Testicular Biopsy is the only test to confirm the production of sperm.

Please note that more you surf on internet more you will get confused.

Thanks and Regards.

Dr.Patil.