Seems to have vaginismus. Unable to have penetrative sex. What can be done?

Psychiatrist
Question
my wife seems to have vaginismus.4 months back we got married,no matter of trying,we are unable to have penetrative sex.its serously depressing to both of us .i heard about kiegel exercise and wife just started to do it. we now have have fear whether she can get pregnant.whats the way forward
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 52 minutes later
Thanks for using nealthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.
It is quite common problem young female to have vaginismus during initial sex life.
We need to identify the cause of vaginismus whether it is fear of sex or fear of having pregnancy etc. For that you should consult sexologist or psychiatrist.

There are some creams or gel like xylocain gel which can be applied 15 minutes before sex. Wipe out excess. Because of it, pain will be reduced. You may get prescription from your doctor.

You may also try with little finger for fingering. When her pain sensitivity is reduced, you can go ahead with two finger or higher. You should use plenty of lubricants like saliva so that pain will be less.

With counselling, identifying and removal of causative factor, thete are definite chances that her viaginismus will be reduced and you can have normal sex like.

Please do not force her for penetrative sex until she is not ready otherwise condition may worsen.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Seems to have vaginismus. Unable to have penetrative sex. What can be done? 25 minutes later
Thank u sir.i have tried fingering,i was successful with one finger,she had severe pain with two fingers,i actually consulted a local OGecian,my wife's gynecological exam was verw ainful and the doctor prescribed hymenectomy since she thinks her hymen was very thick.can i go forwardwith that i am afraid if surgical hymenectomy can create adhesions and interfere with sex.

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 35 minutes later
Thanks for reverting to me.

With intact hymen, gynecological examination will definitely painful.

Hymenectomy is often used in case of thick hymen.

You need to differentiate between vaginismus and hyemenal pain.
In Vaginsimus, pain will be at entry level so that entry of penis will be very difficult. while in case of of thick hymen, it will be at the level where penis touches the hymen.

I would advise you to consult sexologist to find out the actual cause of dysfunction before deciding about hymenectomy.

Hymenectomy is safe procedure, if done properly under proper aseptic precautions.

You may do fingering with help of xylocaine gel.

I hope i have addressed your concern.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Seems to have vaginismus. Unable to have penetrative sex. What can be done? 20 minutes later
Thank you sir.can i use plain 2%topical lignocaine gel or any combination.

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 4 minutes later
Thanks for reverting to me.

You may use plain lignocaine gel initially. You may get prescription from your doctor for same.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

If you do not have any query, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Thanks.