Scanty and irregular cycles. Having PCOS. Is this normal?

Mar 2013
This is the 2nd time in a row that I notice bleeding only when I wipe is this normal? I did see a blood cot come out but not bigger than a quarter, maybe nickel size. I do have borderline pcos.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
For women with PCOS, it is the norm to experience scanty and irregular cycles.
More often than not, spotting occurs instead of a proper menstrual period.
I hope you have been thoroughly evaluated for PCOS in the form of hormonal tests -
serum free testosterone
fasting serum insulin
oral glucose tolerance test
pelvic ultrasound scan

Also, proper treatment should be initiated - generally Metformin is prescribed for metabolic control.
Also, if you are overweight, weight loss is the mainstay of therapy - even a 5 % loss in excess weight will regulate your cycles.
If you are sexually active, then take a pregnancy test just to be sure and rule out pregnancy / miscarriage / ectopic pregnancy.
All the best.
Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.