Scan showed bilateral ovarian cysts and no uterine masses visualized. What does this mean?

I have a question about ovarian cysts
Transabdominal images submitted with additional endovaginal imaging
for further evaluation of uterine and adnexal structures.
Uterus measures 7.5 x 4.9 x 3.6 cm and appears appropriate in
echogeneity. Endometrial thickness is 5 mm. There is no evidence of
intrauterine gestation. No significant free fluid is seen in the
pelvis. A small amount of fluid echogeneity is seen in the cervical
Right ovary measures 4.2 x 3.4 x 3.2 cm and contains circumscribed
anechoic cyst, 3.5 x 3 x 2.6 cm. Margins are smooth.
Left ovary measures 2.6 x 2.4 x 2 cm and contains circumscribed
smoothly marginated anechoic cyst with posterior wall enhancement and
through transmission, 1.7 x 1.4 x 1.4 cm.
Bilateral ovarian cysts, largest on the right 3.5 cm. No uterine
masses visualized.
Job #: 0000
11/30/12 1833
S: Signed
D: 11/30/12 1718
T: 11/30/12 1733 MCO
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

To some extent, the interpretation of the scan depends on why it was performed in the first place. If it was done for evaluation of right lower pelvic pain, then the presence of the cyst on the right would explain the pain.

Taken on face value, the scan is normal. The uterus and the lining of the uterus are both normal. The ovaries are a normal size, and the cysts are both described as simple appear structures. Typically, with these findings, and depending on the reasons for which the scan was done in the first place, a recommendation to repeat the scan in 6-8 weeks would be the typical plan. As they likely represent "functional" cysts, they will eventually go away on their own. If they do NOT go away, then there would be a discussion about whether they need to be further evaluated with further ultrasound or surgery.

I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, please ask!
Follow-up: Scan showed bilateral ovarian cysts and no uterine masses visualized. What does this mean? 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply...The reason is my daughter age 26 is on pill but always gets period 2 weeks early or has bleeding when its not time (has had this problem at other times in her life.. So basically bleeding ...She has tried many diff pills..the last few months has been more of a problem always comes early and she takes her pills correctly...Her stomach seems bloated (has gained weight all over tho for last few years ..eating) She gets cramping with period but nothin crazy

This Dr (ob) suggests repeat U/S in 3 months..Do you think waiting 3 mo is too long? I find 3.5 cm large..Is it? If it grows does that indicate cancer? Is this common size ? type? etc what does wall enhancement mean? Are U/S reliable?...My concern is cancer

I work at this hospital and I know Dr who read scan is good.

Please advise
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
You daughter needs to ask about other forms of birth control that might control her cycle better, or perhaps even a different pill. In answer to your questions:

1. I think 3 months is an appropriate followup - you could ask about 2 months though it does not really make a huge difference
2. 3.5cm is not that large - about the size of a ping pong ball
3. If it grows it is unlikely to be cancer, but there are different benign tumors that can affect young women
4. Yes this is the most common type of ovarian cyst - it is related to the usual cysts that she forms each month - one just got a little larger and is taking longer to go away.
5. Don't worry about the wall enhancement comment. They used that in multiple locations in the report indicating to me that it was more likely related to the ultrasound and images than it was an abnormal finding.
6. She does not have cancer!

I hope this helps.
Follow-up: Scan showed bilateral ovarian cysts and no uterine masses visualized. What does this mean? 11 hours later
Thank you so much You answered everyone of my questions and I now feel better having had another Dr look at this.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 hours later
You are welcome and good luck!