Safe to use nicotine lozenge while on albuterol?

is it ok to use nicotine lozenge while using albuterol?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one.

It is safe to use the albuterol with the nicotine lozenge but you should certainly monitor for potential side effects of using both of these at the same time. The albuterol will help with the cough and chest congestion but can cause a bit of a jittery feeling and can also accelerate the heart rate.

The good thing about albuterol is that it only stays in your system for a few hours so if there are side effects which are hard to tolerate you can increase the interval of use of the inhaler. To start I recommend one puff of the inhaler every 4 to 6 hours. If you have side effects of palpitations or jitteriness use it every 8 to 12 hours.

You should get over the cold within a few days. I hope you are able to continue abstaining from smoking forever. You may experience a bit of a cough as your airway heals from the side effects of smoking. Smoking damages the tiny cilia in the airway. These tiny cilia will grow back over the next few weeks and as they grow back they may trigger a mild dry cough. Congratulations on taking a big step toward improving the quality and length of your life!

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found this response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga