Safe to take Ambien and Hydromet at bedtime?

Jun 2014

I take 5mg of ambien every night for chronic insomnia. I have a serious URI with a hacking cough that gets worse when I lie down. Is it safe to take my nightly abien dose and add my prescription of hydromet syrup 1-2 tsp at bedime ? Thank you for your advice.
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Avoid it. Detailed Answer: HI Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you to solve this query. Hydromet consists of hydrocodone and homatropine and hydrocodone is a opioid derivative which could lead potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Using zolpidem together with Hydrocodone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery with use of these drugs. In think, you should avoid or decrease the dose of ambien dose to half until you take hydromet. That would avoid the synergistic effect of drugs. I think, you would be satisfied with response. In case you need further help, you can ask. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist