Running nose, puffy, watery and red eye,

My son's nose is running, and all of a sudden his right eye is very puffy, watery, and red. What is it, and what can I do?
Posted Tue, 15 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
These symptoms are suggestive of a common cold or rhinitis. It is mostly caused by a viral infection.

You should follow the following measures for treatment of runny nose:

1)     First of all use a misthumidifier or vaporizer in the infant’s room. The water vapor can help moisten and loosen your baby's nasal mucus.

2)     Use saline nasal drops to loosen the mucus and then use a soft rubber infant suction bulb to suck out her nasal mucus. Don't insert cotton swabs into a child's nostrils. Instead, catch the discharge outside the nostril on a tissue or swab, roll it around, and pull the discharge out of the nose.

3)     Apply petroleum jelly to the outside of your baby's nostrils to reduce irritation.

4)     If there is any fever then your child may need acetaminophen after consulting his pediatrician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.