Reports showed peripheral follicles on left ovary 2-3 GFS<1cm and right ovary 4-5 GFS<1cm. Is this normal?

Mar 2013
Hi Doctor, My name is XXXXX, from Bangalore. I am 30 yrs old and I recently had a thorough check up as my husband and I decided to have a baby. The results looked normal as per doctors advice except that No of Peripheral Follicles on left ovary read 2-3 GFS<1cm and right ovary read 4-5 GFS<1cm. where as normal reading should be 6-8 Should i be worried? Its just 2 months since we have started trying. Is there any particular food/fruits that can improve my reading mentioned above.
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: GET AMH DONE AFTER SOME MONTHS, NO NEED TO WORRY Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. To answer your question specifically - no , you should not be worried. The AFC ( antral follicular count ) measures number of follicles seen in the ovary on day 2 of the menstrual cycle. You are right, that the reading is slightly on the lower side. However, you have just been trying to conceive for 2 months, so do not worry. Also, if your periods are regular with normal flow, that is all the more reason for you not to worry. One thing is that better than the counting of follicles on ultrasound, there is a better method to assess the ovarian reserve. The ovarian reserve is the capacity of your ovaries to produce good quality and good number of follicles. The best way to measure is by estimation of a hormone called AMH ( anti Mullerian Hormone ). This is a better indicator of measuring the ovarian reserve. Please get it done. If that is on a lower side, then it maybe a concern. If the ovarian reserve is lower, then it cannot be treated as a rule. Supplements like DHEA have a slightly beneficial role, however there are no particular foods / fruits to treat this. In general, maintaining an active lifestyle and eating healthy ( keeping your weight in check ) will help. If you try to conceive naturally for a year, and still fail, then further investigations should be carried out. There is no reason to get concerned, unless there is some other index history which is making you anxious about conception. Take care Please feel free to ask for further clarifications. Take regular folic acid supplements.
Follow-up: Reports showed peripheral follicles on left ovary 2-3 GFS<1cm and right ovary 4-5 GFS<1cm. Is this normal? 7 minutes later
Thankyou Doctor. What could be the reason for such readings? Regards, Also Doctor, what is the ideal frequency for intercourse to get pregnant Thanks & Regards, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: As I told you, if the AMH is low, it indicates diminished ovarian reserve. This is age related in women, and with increasing age, the capacity of ovaries to produce eggs decreases. Hence, such results might be seen. For conception, it is important to have intercourse around the time of ovulation. In a 28 day cycle, ovulation generally occurs around day 14. So, if you remain sexually active from day 10 to day 20 of your cycle, odds of conception are increased. The frequency could be daily or every alternate day. Take care.