Reports show cyst in ovary and lutiel cyst. What does this indicate? Chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

My wife (age 30) has this report on her 22nd day - Right ovary a cyst with XXXXXXX echoes 2.9 * 2.9cms, lutiel cyst. Endometrium 1.0cms, triple layer. What does this report mean? Is there a chance for pregnancy in this cycle? Are the values in normal range? Please help.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. Followings are my comments to your queries:

1) Ultrasound scan report reveals right sided ovarian cyst & may rupture during period in the absence of pregnancy. It usually disappears after few months. This type of cyst is mostly physiological and does not create clinical complication with above mentioned size (2.9 x 2.9 cm). Also, this does not prevent or threaten a resulting pregnancy. It is commonly associated with ovulation induction drugs (like clomiphene etc).

Endometrium thickness (1 cm) is also normal with visible three layers. It is suggestive of secretory phase of menstrual cycle.

2) It is too early for confirmation or determination of possible pregnancy. Here, one home pregnancy test is suggested immediately after missed period. However, blood test for beta-hCG or TVS scan (Trans Vaginal Sonography) around 4-5 weeks (from last period date) is more confirmative & reliable to detect pregnancy. You can consult with your gynecologist regarding this.

3) Yes, both values are quite physiological and normal in correspondence to her menstrual cycle.

Hope, I have answered your queries. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Reports show cyst in ovary and lutiel cyst. What does this indicate? Chances of pregnancy? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor, Thanks a bunch for answering the question. I was surfing the net with the scan report details and read at many a places read that the endometrium thickness more than 16mm or so wouldn't yield a pregnancy. Hence the doubt I had. Hope 1 cm thickness shouldn't prevent a pregnancy? And also on many a sites it was suggesting for a biopsy if the thickness grows beyond 1cm. Please is this necessary?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query.

Normal endometrium thickness in secretory phase of menstrual cycle is 10-14 mm. It is usually thickened after conception. However, it does not confirm or prevent a pregnancy. TVS scan or serum beta-hCG test around 4-5 weeks is best method to rule out pregnancy in absence of period.

In my opinion, endometrium tissue biopsy is not necessary with above thickness (1 cm) as it is within the normal range. However, it may be required if endometrium is thickened beyond 16 mm with positive clinical sign. In such case, you need to consult with your gynecologist to proceed the same.

Hope, above information is quite helpful for your understanding. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen