Report shows hypoechoic splenic lesion, complex cyst versus hemangioma. Should I worry about cancer?

Hi, Can you explain a little more about this recent ultrasound result. My Dr doesn't seem at all concerned, but I’m a worrier by nature so wanted to check. Too easy to search on google and come to the cancer conclusion :-/ There is a complex lesion in the spleen measuring 1.0 x 0.9 0.9 cm. . There is no hydronephrosis. There is a simple left lower pole parapelvic cyst which measures 1.4 x 0.9 x 1.0 cm. Conclusion - Hypoechoic splenic lesion, complex cyst versus hemangioma. Advise a follow-up examination in 3-6 months for stability. I guess my question is, although this is small, is this something that is typically benign and should I worry? Also what does "complex cyst versus hemangioma”? Are Complex cysts more dangerous? Probably worrying too much, but just interested in another Dr’s opinion. My Dr said to just go back in 6 months to check it out. If so small why go back relatively soon? Thx for your time.
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be of concern Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Complex cyst means that there are solid components in a fluid filled structure. Usually simple cysts (no solid component) are considered totally benign while complex cysts require some kind of followup. Hemangioma is a blood vessel malformation, which is also benign. Because of the size and location, I don't think this one is of any significance. Hence, a six month followup seems reasonable. This is not early at all, just a routine followup. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: Report shows hypoechoic splenic lesion, complex cyst versus hemangioma. Should I worry about cancer? 2 hours later
Thank you very much for your response. Sorry if they are silly questions. Is it common for complex cysts to become malignant? And what changes do they look for in 6 months? Also how would they tell if it was dangerous? Thx
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Complex cysts have slight increased risk of cancer Detailed Answer: However, given the size and location (spleen per se has very low risk of malignancy). At 6 months they would look for increase in size and characteristics like new vessels, etc. On imaging, it is not possible to say with certainty but if suspicious features are seen then biopsy is done. But I still feel that it is unikely to be anything serious. Regards
Follow-up: Report shows hypoechoic splenic lesion, complex cyst versus hemangioma. Should I worry about cancer? 4 hours later
Thank you. Do cysts of this kind start of benign and possibly grow into something magligment or can the start out maligment? Also what does it mean "complex cyst versus hemangioma"?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: cysts in spleen very rarely can turn malignant. They are mostly beingn, that's why we are all not concerned. Complex cyst versus hemangioma denotes that it can be either a cyst (with solid areas, hence complex) or a hemangioma (a blood vessel malformation). Both are benign. regards