Is fatty liver a serious condition?

Hi, I recently had an ultrasound to check on something else and in the results this came back (below). My Dr didn't even mention it. I do have high cholesterol and take 10 mg of Lipitor which does the job perfectly (my levels are perfect). I also just had my routine blood test for liver function too which were also fine. I do drink in moderation and could prob exercise more. Could you give me any more insight to the below or should I worry? "Heterogenous liver echotexture c/w mild fatty infiltration." Thanks for your time.
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Brief Answer: life style modifications and exercises Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX ... Welcome to healthcare Magic! The findings in the report are suggestive of Fatty liver with distorted architecture. This is the initial step if cirrhosis liver. It can be due hepatotoxic agents. You should cut down on the alcohol to half of the current levels both in amount and frequency. Avoid fried foods and fast foods and the foods cooked in saturated fats. Increase the levels of exercises as much comfortable to you. Reduce body weight if you are overweight. B complex supplement and antioxidants combination is also advisable. Repeat ultrasound after two months time. I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you. Take Care!
Follow-up: Is fatty liver a serious condition? 2 days later
Thx you very much for your reply. Also the ultra sound picked up a tiny cyst on my spleen. Can you explain a little more about this (below). My Dr doesn't seem at all concerned, but I’m a worrier by nature so wanted to check. Too easy to search on google and come to the cancer conclusion :-/ There is a complex lesion in the spleen measuring 1.0 x 0.9 0.9 cm. . There is no hydronephrosis. There is a simple left lower pole parapelvic cyst which measures 1.4 x 0.9 x 1.0 cm. Conclusion - Hypoechoic splenic lesion, complex cyst versus hemangioma. Advise a follow-up examination in 3-6 months for stability. I guess my question is, although this is small, is this something that is typically benign and should I worry? Also what does "complex cyst versus hemangioma”? Are Complex cysts more dangerous? Probably worrying too much, but just interested in another Dr’s opinion. My Dr said to just go back in 6 months to check it out. If so small why go back relatively soon and how would they know if there was a risk it was malignant? Thx for your time.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 33 hours later
Brief Answer: No need for worry, repeat usg after 3m Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome back to health care magic. The lesion detected in the splenic tissue on ultrasound in your case seems to be of benign nature. Hemangioma or cyst are malformations of no consequences mostly. People mostly outlive them. Complex cysts are also not malignant but may grow big and may develop other less serious complications. So you need not worry. Getting it reviewed after three months is excellent idea. I hope the advise will be helpful for you.