Report showed FSH is 7 and LH 5.1. What are the normal ranges?

Mar 2013
i want to know if my fsh is 7 and my lh is 5.1. i checked it on the 2 nd day of my period. plase let me know what are the normal ranges
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 26 minutes later
Day 2 is considered the ideal time for measurement of these hormones.
Normally, in females of reproductive age group, on Day 2, normal levels of
FSH = 2.5 to 10.2 mIU/ml
LH = 1.9 to 12.5 mIU/ml
Thus, as you can clearly see, both your hormone reports are clearly in the normal range.
Follow-up: Report showed FSH is 7 and LH 5.1. What are the normal ranges? 38 minutes later
My Dr says there is a little imbalance and needs to be corrected. I dont undertamd why. Probably i have not been getting my periods for 3 months now. could you please help
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
Generally LH : FSH ratio greater than 2 is considered abnormal, but this is also not the case with you.
You need to be thoroughly investigated for absence of periods for 3 months.
The first possibility is polycystic ovarian disease ( PCOD )
For this, the following investigations are needed - LH : FSH ratio ( normal in your case ), Baseline Day 2 transvaginal ultrasound scan, Serum DHEAS, Serum free testosterone, Serum fasting insulin, Oral glucose tolerance test, T3, T4, TSH ( thyroid hormones ).
In this condition, the ovaries are studded with small eggs due to hormonal imbalance, but none of them form a mature egg, thus ovulation and menstruation is irregular.
Thyroid and adrenal hormones need to be checked.
Also, conditions like endometrial hyperplasia etc need to be ruled out.
Pregnancy obviously needs to be ruled out.
Anxiety, stress, hectic travelling, rapid and frequent changes in weight etc also can cause such a picture.