Ask a Urologist   »  

Reddish bumps on the penis. No pain, no itching. Remedy?

Question
White/red bumps on rim of penis?
Im 20 haven't noticed them before, no pain or itching.
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

these small bumps can be due to folliculitis which is caused by irritation and inflammation of the hair follicles. It is usually caused by irritation, infections like bacteria and yeasts and other noninfectious skin conditions.

For folliculitis, keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap. Avoid any kind of cosmetics especially greasy cosmetic creams. It can be avoided by exercising good hygiene. Topical antibiotics like Clindamycin and Neosporin which are usually available over the counter are effective. If the symptoms persist then you may need oral antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Reddish bumps on the penis. No pain, no itching. Remedy? 11 minutes later
Oh ok, I was worried it was some sort of std or even ppp.
I have had protected sex once a year ago and have recieved oral twice since then.
And Im circumcised so I thought it couldnt have been ppp.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Chances of a STD are less, however if you have had unprotected oral sex, then chances of STD's like genital warts and molluscum are always there. Keep an eye on these bumps. Keep the area clean and apply topical antibiotics.

If the bumps persist then get it examined from a dermatologist.

Follow-up: Reddish bumps on the penis. No pain, no itching. Remedy? 2 hours later
Ok thanks.
I will keep an eye on them. The bumps are not visible at all unless the penis is erect.
Would that mean anything?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Any skin problem would become more prominent in an erect penis as the skin is taut and the lesions are visible clearly. I dont think you need to worry about this part.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.