Reddish area at bottom of feet, burning pain, cannot sleep

Question
i HAVE DEVELOPED REDISH AREA AT THE BOTTOM MIDDLE OF MY LEFT FEET. IT PAIN TOO MUCH LIKE A BURNING PAIN. WALKING RUNNING ARE NOT AFFECTED BUT IT DOESNT ALLOW ME TO SLEEP GOOD. ONCE WOKE UP THE PAIN TROUBLES A LOT.
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 3 hours later
Thank you for your reports ,
You have stated had ankle sprain and possible your symptoms and signs are resulted as a complication, but is unlikely , most probably is inflammation of your plantar fascia, characterized by nocturnal pain and in the morning first steps. I would recommend you relative rest, icy packs or icy bath for 20 minutes in end of the day, tablets like ibuprofen or naproxen, locally anti-inflammatory creams, night splint, arch support , cushioned heels and exercise –stretching your sole and calf’s muscles . All these measures will improve your condition , but in some sever cases need corticosteroid injection , that can be done in medical facility. Additionally make an self assessment in upcoming days to rule out local abscess ( must be present pus collection that need to be drained , sterile dressing and oral antibiotics).

I wish you good luck and speedy recovery,
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Reddish area at bottom of feet, burning pain, cannot sleep 35 hours later
I am in agreement with your assesment as XXXXXXX inflammation of your plantar fascia, characterized by nocturnal pain" .

Is there any reasons to have reached this condition? I have a feeling that similar trouble is coming up on other feet too. Very early to confirm but , It seems it will affect.
Does this kind of illness come due to Vitamin B12 deficiency? I have B12 as 100 to 135 during last 4 months of tests done for B 12 without any supplements taken during this period. Where as normal is to be above 184. All other values in my blood report is excellent and I am very healthy otherwise.

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 7 hours later
Welcome back,
Many causes may be involved like shortening or contracture of the calf muscles and plantar fascia : sedentary lifestyle, occupations requiring sitting, very high or low arches in the feet, standing or walking on hard surfaces for prolonged periods. No , there no any correlation between Vit B12 deficiency and plantar fasciitis. I would advice oyu when you have possibility recheck your blood work ( including Vit B 12 ).
I wish you good luck and speedy recovery.
Best Regards,
Dr.Mihail