Red tainted stools. Undigested tomatoes or bleeding ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
can undigested tomatoes look like blood mixed in your stools
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 16 minutes later

1. Do you have any pain on passing stools?
2. Do you experience bleeding gums or from nose, pain in any joints?
3. Any recent loss of weight, reduced appetite, change in bowel habits?

Sometimes the skin from the tomatoes can get undigested and appear in the stools. But it sure will not appear like fresh blood but rather orange-red colour.

Based on your description, I can think of the following possibilities:
1. Celiac disease is sometimes associated with nutritional deficiencies. Vitamin K and other essential vitamin deficiencies can induce bleeding.
2. XXXXXXX hemorrhoids can cause bleeding from the rectum. The characteristic presentation of bleeding haemorrhoids is fresh blood which coats the stool and is not much mixed with stool.
3. Intestinal parasites
4. Colon cancer can cause bleeding in stools.

To find the cause of bleeding you will need to get examined by your Doctor. Few blood tests, per rectal examination stool test and colonoscopies are entailed.

In the meanwhile try to avoid fatty, fried, high carbohydrate food. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables to enhance Vitamin source. Drink plenty of water. Exercise daily. Avoid gluten containing food like wheat, rye, barley, oats.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.