Red, pus-filled bump in pubic area, diagnosed with HPV. Want to ensure that the bump is folliculitis

I have a small, red, puss-filled bump in my pubic hair. It is the only bump I see. I was diagnosed with HPV over 6 mos ago but was told that no treatment was needed we would just see if it went away on its own. I have a gyno appt in the next 3 weeks for my follow-up annual exam. Just wanting to ensure this bump is folliculitis (sp?) or the result of an ingrown hair and not something more serious. I can send a photo if that would help.
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
A single small pus filled bump in the pubic hairs is likely to be due to folliculitis or a blocked sebaceous gland or bartholin's gland. Since it is a red and painful swelling, it is not likely to be due to warts.
Such minor infections do subside in 3-4 days normally without much treatment. You can do a hot fomentation in the area to decrease pain and apply a local antiseptic ointment like neosporin for early relief.
In case the swelling increases in size then systemic antibiotics may be needed.
A direct examination will help in confirmation of diagnosis.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Red, pus-filled bump in pubic area, diagnosed with HPV. Want to ensure that the bump is folliculitis 6 minutes later
Great thank you so much. I assume like you say then that it is folliculitis or the blocked gland. I will have it confirmed with my personal OBGYN at my visit in the coming weeks - if you agree I should wait that long and make sure the bump subsides.

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You can wait for a week and meanwhile self monitor the swelling for any further increase in size or discharge in which case systemic antibiotics might be needed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.