Recurring kidney stones. Had multiple renal surgeries. Pain still persisting. Permanent cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband had kidney surgery 3 times before he was 16 for kidney stones he has scars about 12-14 inches long from his back all the way around his flank area. He has been playing sports lately and is having alot of what he thought was kidney stone kindney stones could this be old scar pain and are there any treatments available
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Since he has a history of having renal stones, it is best to get an ultrasound scan done to rule out stone formation. Pain in the surgical scar after so many years is a less likely cause.
In case there are no calculi and pain is in the scar, then it needs to be examined to rule out a keloid formation and should be biopsied to rule out any malignant transformation. You can consult a dermatologist for this purpose.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.