Recurrent bacterial vaginosis, shrinking clitoris. Cramps due to ruptured cyst. Painful sex. Help!

Question
I need help im 41 and I keep having recurrent BV at same time clitoris shrinking could it be tied together I am dibetic but sugars are not that high only goes up when I have the BV I been to ob I had ultra sound and trans vaginal ultra sound said everting is fine I enen been to er because cramp so bad was told it was a rupter cyst I have not had a hysterectomy sex somtime painful help!
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 7 hours later

Bacterial vaginosis is a common cause of unusual vaginal discharge in woman and occurs due to overgrowth of normal bacterial flora.It can be easily treated with antibiotics and some other prescription medications but you have to take a dedicated treatment for that.

Raised blood sugars also can contribute to the symptoms so it is utmost important to keep control of the levels.

You need to take the medications for vaginosis even if it is cured until the whole treatment is completed as it can keep on recurring.
Along with that some measures:
1)Wash the genitals daily with antibacterial soap and water.

2)Keep the area dry.

3)Avoid douching as it predisposes more to the present symptoms.

4)Always use condom while having intercourse unless fully cured.

5)Avoid using Intrauterine device for contraception as it increases risk of vaginosis.

6)Avoid smoking.

7)Restrict sugar intake and instead have healthy high fibre diet.

Now coming to the cramps which can be due to various reasons as ruptured cyst,pelvic infection,vaginosis.It requires a pelvic examination and investigations as USG (Ultrasound) scan which would help in giving a precise diagnosis.Kindly visit a Gynaecologist for detailed evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.

Follow-up: Recurrent bacterial vaginosis, shrinking clitoris. Cramps due to ruptured cyst. Painful sex. Help! 22 hours later
If I do not use condoms during treatment could husband reinfect me or is it somthing causing recurrent I had it every 3 months not normal clitoris shrinking

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 30 minutes later
Hello again,

Thanks for the follow up query.

If proper treatment is not taken for Vaginosis it is common to have recurrence and unless fully cured it is always advisable to use condom for protection. The medications course is to be taken until fully cured as advised by the Physician.

Clitoris shrinking is common with age as hormones estrogen and progesterone production decreases gradually and eventually after menopause the levels are very low.

Hormonal levels being low may also be a factor of recurrent vaginosis in your case.

Wishing you speedy recovery!