Recovering from throat and lung cancer. Safe to take yellow fever vaccination?

Oncologist, Surgical
Hello we are visiting Kenya next year and have been advised that we MUSt be vacinated against yellow fever. My husband is in remission from throat and lung cancer, should he be vacinated and is necessary to be vacinated myself.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 39 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Yellow fever is a big problem in the African countries and some countries make it mandatory for tourists to get this vaccine. This vaccine is to be taken atleast 10 days before travel and is effective for 10 years.
Usually there are no major complications with the vaccine. Only minor problems like a flu like syndrome, allergy. Only in rare cases has this vaccine led to neurological impairment or life threatening infection.
It should be avoided in patients with egg allergy and those who are immuno-deficient.
There is no contraindication for patients who have suffered from cancer but you should be cautious if he has received chemotherapy recently. It is best to consult your oncologist for the same.
For you (if you are not allergic to eggs), then the vaccine is safe.

I hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to clarify any other point if you feel like.