Recovering from Hepatitis E. Diet advice?

Hi one month back i have Hebatitis E the Bilirubin count 7.8 mg/dl

after taking treatment two weeks back again we checked the bilirubin count 1.o mg/dl

what kind of food i should eat and how may moths i have to continue the diet

and can i have sex with my wife
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information.

You have been suffering from Hepatitis E and have taken treatment for this. The bilirubin levels have also improved since then. I presume all other parameters have also improved. It is a good sign of recovery.

Hepatitis E(HEV) is transmitted by eating or drinking contaminated food or water. It is not sexually transmittable disease, so do not worry about passing on to your wife.

Diet for hepatitis E patients such as high carbohydrate food (Bread, potato, grains), moderate to high fat and protein and salt restriction are usually recommended in during acute infection.
However hepatitis E is a self limiting condition where they body heals infection spontaneously. Your reports too suggest that infection has improved. In this circumstance, I do not feel you require a special diet / dietary restriction.

In addition the following measures might be useful:
1. Plenty of fruits and vegetables and vitamin B supplements might help in getting your body to normality post infection.
2. Avoid drinking water and/or ice of unknown purity and eating uncooked shellfish, uncooked fruits or vegetables that are not peeled or prepared outside.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.