Received the Gardasil vaccine. Boy friend developed genital warts and got vaccine. Am I still carrier of virus?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I received the Gardasil vaccine when I was 25-years-old going on 26-years-old. I am now 29-years-old. My ex-boyfriend, developed genital warts shortly before I received the vaccine. I have had no symptoms or signs of genital warts nor have I been tested for HPV as I was told by my gynecologist that it is too common to really need to be tested. Am I still a carrier of the virus and can pass it along to future partners?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Gardasil vaccine protects against four types of HPV 6,11,16,18 ie prevents against genital warts and cervical cancer strains.
As your boy friend had genital warts prior to vaccination and if you had physical or genital contact with him, your chances of contracting infection were there. Genital warts usually manifest in few weeks to months after getting infected and if there is a latent infection, it usually clears off in two to three years in majority of cases. As you had no manifested lesion or warts and two to three years have elapsed, so there are chances you might not be carrying HPV. Also gardasil might not have provided protection against strain that you were exposed to prior to vaccination, but it would definitely provide infection against other strains.

Hope that helped.

Follow-up: Received the Gardasil vaccine. Boy friend developed genital warts and got vaccine. Am I still carrier of virus? 4 hours later
Is there an affordable place to get tested? My healthcare provider said that HPV is so common that they usually do not test because almost everyone has it. I have insurance through my graduate school but would Planned Parenthood be a more affordable choice of my insurance doesn't cover it? It has been 5 years since my ex-boyfriend first started having symptoms & our last contact was in Oct. 2011. I have never had any symptoms or anything at all during that time.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 18 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
As the last contact was two years back and you never had any clinical manifestations, I would agree with your doctor in not suggesting any tests.
Be assured that you are not going to transmit the infection to anyone .

As such no tests are advised to rule out risk of genital warts. In high risk females Pap smear from cervix and hpv test is done to detect the strains of HPV that can cause cervical cancer.

As you have already taken the vaccine, all I would advise you is to remain stress free and enjoy life.

Follow-up: Received the Gardasil vaccine. Boy friend developed genital warts and got vaccine. Am I still carrier of virus? 43 hours later
Thank you for your reassurance. It is much appreciated and a relief!

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 hours later
I hope now there are no doubts and worries!
If all your queries have been answered, we may close the discussion.
Wish you good health!