Received depo- provera injection. Is this effective?

I have just recently received my first depo provera shot 7 weeks ago. I have not used any other form of hormonal birth control. Is the depo shot effective now or should I continue to use backup birth control (condoms)?
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Depo- provera injection is normally administered within the first 7 days of the menstrual cycle and back contraception is only advised for the first 7 days after receiving the injection.
At 7 weeks post injection, you would not need additional contraception.

The effectiveness of depo depends on receiving it every 3 months so that the levels remain stable.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions