Reason for movement in eyes after recovering from vertigo?

Ophthalmologist
Question
Hi my name is XXXXXXX I have a question about my eyes. I've been getting over vertigo that I have had over the past couple of months. I've pretty much fully recovered from the vertigo. The one thing that still remains is a movement in my eyes if I slightly cross my eyes I see it happening. I see the movement after driving especially at night. I went to the eye doctor and he said that it's not effecting my vision. All the other symptoms have gone away from the vertigo but this. actually this seems to have started since my vertigo went away a few weeks ago. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: These eye movements are normal in vertigo. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to health care magic. I am Dr Dadapeer, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eyes. It seems from the history that you recovering from vertigo and on treatment for vertigo. Vertigo is a kind of dizziness where the person feels apparent feeling of spinning of things surrounding him. There are mainly two types of causes, central and peripheral causes. The central causes are vertebrobasilar insufficiency, transient ischaemic attacks... The peripheral causes are inner ear diseases, benign positional vertigo.... Since in vertigo the person will have feeling of spinning of things surrounding him, the eyes tend to show involuntary movements. This involuntary movements of the eye are called as nystagmus and they are because of vertigo and nystagmus will disappear with treatment of vertigo. Hence I advice you not to worry about these eye movements and I would like to assure you that the eye movements will disappear with the treatment of vertigo. Hence I advice you to continue anti vertigo drugs as advised by your doctor. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you

Follow-up: Reason for movement in eyes after recovering from vertigo? 6 minutes later
Hi Thank you for your response. I just wanted to let you know that the vertigo has gone away for the most part. The only thing left that I still notice is my eye movements. is that still normal Even though I've been feeling better for two weeks or so now?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes it is normal. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up question. Yes it is normal to have eye movements during and following vertigo. It should and it will come down with treatment. Hence I advice you not to worry and wait for 2 to 3 weeks. Do continue treatment if any as advised by your doctor for vertigo. Hope the information is helpful to you. Thank you

Follow-up: Reason for movement in eyes after recovering from vertigo? 3 hours later
Ok thank you once again. I was just very worried. first I ended up with vertigo before Christmas and those symptoms lasted for awhile. Then most of those symptoms stared getting better about 3 weeks ago and then my eyes started doing this. Since I still have my eyes bothering me I was just scared. I still see 20 20 but I was just concerned that it's been too long with these eye symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 hours later
Brief Answer: No need to worry. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the follow up As you have mentioned you see these eye movements in night after driving. These are just normal searching movements which occur whenever we see any moving objects. These are exaggerated because of vertigo you had. Since your vision is normal as you have mentioned, no need to worry at all. These eye movements will decrease hence there is no need to be concern or worry. Hope I have answered your questions and the information is helpful. Thank you