Reason for green or frothy stools of breastfed baby?

General Surgeon
We've observed that my 5 months old daughter (who is being exclusively breastfed) stools color is often green or sometimes frothy stools from past couple of weeks. This issue is not always but observed once/twice in a week. Since her birth she is passing gas as well. She is always active and not having any issues, and always she is happy and smiling. Could you please look into my question and suggest is there any problem which my little kid is facing? Is anything that mother need to take care with respect to her food as my kid is totally depends on breast feeding? Your valuable input will really help us to take necessary steps (if required). Thanks in advance.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There is no cause for concern Detailed Answer: gm Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr Vijayant Being a patent and Pediatric Surgeon as well I understand your concern and apprehension. Let me reassure you , there is no cause for concern. It's perfectly normal. Infants are exclusively to be breastfeed till 6 months of age, as you are already following it , it's good. Breast milk contains sugar in form of lactose, protein and fat. Carbohydrate present in milk undergo fomentation and produce gas. Expulsion of which is normal thing when passing stools. There is no cause of concern when following things are fulfilled 1. No distension of abdomen 2. Sleeps for at least 2 hours after feed 3. No redness in Perianal region. 4. Gaining weight adequately Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon