Random, small, dark scabs on body, itchy. Rashes are raised and dry. What should I do?

Hi i have random small dark scabs around my body and they're very itchy especially at night. I'm starting to develop small rashes around or small raised bumps which are itchy. The skin around one of my scabs is dark and dry. What should i do?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 hours later

There could be several causes of the rash that you are currently experiencing. These include scabies, vasculitis, eczema, etc. The exact cause can be determined only after a complete examination.

I would suggest that you can take Tablet Zyrtec 1 tablet daily whenever you have severe itching. Further, you can try applying calamine lotion on the affected area.

It would be great if you could actually upload a picture of the rash that you are currently experiencing. Also, since I believe that more information helps a physician arrive at an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions
a. Where did the rash start from?
b. Since how long do you have the rash?
c. Have you, in the recent past, tried some new soap/cosmetic/drug or food? If yes, did the rash appear after that?

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Random, small, dark scabs on body, itchy. Rashes are raised and dry. What should I do? 2 hours later
Hi doctor,

I uploaded a photo of one of the rashes. One started on the right side of my stomach and it's kind of spreading out. I have had the scab for two to three weeks and the rashes started breaking out a couple days ago.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later

Thanks for uploading the picture of lesion. I have through it carefully.

You could possibly be suffering from an Eczema or Scabies.

I would suggest you to consult a Dermatologist who can evaluate you to confirm the diagnosis and prescribe appropriate therapy. You could try taking the measures that I have suggested above.

Treatment of scabies would involve a drug called Permethrin, which is a prescription drug and can be obtained after consulting your dermatologist. Further, please wash all your linen and laundry in hot boiling water. Treatment of your family will also be required.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.