Random chill bumps on claves. What could be the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have random chill bumps that start on the claves ,always both at the same time, never just one leg at a time.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

Random chill bumps on the legs commonly happen due to sympathetic nerve stimulation which causes contraction of muscles in hair roots causing this skin contraction.

It can be indicative of a spinal nerve root irritation or a benign adrenal tumour causing excessive adrenaline release.

Although it is a benign symptom, but I would advise you to consult a neurologist to rule out any possible nerve related disorder after proper investigations.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal
Follow-up: Random chill bumps on claves. What could be the reason? 4 hours later
Ok, another thing that's been going on is chronic hives, w/pheripheral edema.
I'm currently on a diurtetic. A serum profile was taken of the most common allergies test. They all came back negative, but I was currently taking small amts of steriods and antihystamines; however, still having symptoms. With your response, I'm now wondering if this has something this to do with the Hypothalamic-Pituitay-Adrenal Axis with off balances of steriod production? What are your thoughts? With this in mind to your response, I will make an appt with the dr on Monday, thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Hello and thanks for writing again.

Allergy test usually tests for the most common allergens. A negative allergy test indicate one is not allergic to those commonest allergen's used during the test.

A careful examination of the hives and peripheral edema is essential to rule out allergy as the cause of it. In the absence of an allergic cause, these could be related to autoimmune inflammatory condition. It is less likely to be due to a hormonal disturbance.

It is best to get your hormone levels evaluated under the guidance of an endocrinologist.

Hope my answer is helpful. Let me know if you have any more concerns. And if all the queries are addressed, please close this discussion.