Pus filled blisters on foot. Recovering from ruptured quad tendon surgery, leg kept in zero ROM brace. Anything to be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am recovering from ruptured quad tendon surgery. I am about 9 days post op. I (or my spouse) has noticed that as I have kept my leg (which is in a zero ROM brace) elevated, I am starting to get clear liquid and light yellow (not full on puss) enclosed in a few blister like bubbles in the bottom of my foot. I have had these before through the years and written it off to excema, however this time, I cannot see them and my wife says they are pretty large. Any need to be concerned. They are not painful and do seem to pop quiet easily.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later

The blisters like bubbles on your foot are likely to be due to superficial skin infection. It might have been developed due to allergy or irritation caused by the brace you are using.

The blisters do need proper wound care and dry dressings with an antiseptic powder like neosporin powder. Systemic antibiotic cover is needed to avoid further infections.

If there is any associated itching then an oral anti allergic might also be needed.

You need to get the area examined and get appropriate drugs prescribed from your doctor.
Meanwhile keep your limb elevated, loosen the brace slightly and try to keep the area dry.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.