Puncture wound from rusty nail. cleaned with peroxide, put neosporin. received tetanus injection two days later. Chances of infection ?

Question
Last Saturday at about 7:00pm I received a puncture wound from a very rusty nail. I immediately cleaned it out with peroxide and additionally put Neosporin on it. I started to worry about possible Tetnas and went in for a Tetnas shot on Monday morning as it has probably been 15-20 years since my last one. At any rate I received the shot at about 10:00am Monday morning. I asked the Doctor at the MediCenter if the shot would be effective even though the wound had occurred on Saturday, he reassured me it would. I simply want to make sure that this was indeed accurate information. Thank you for your time.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 23 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you have redness or swelling over the wound?
2.) Do you get fever?
3.) where exactly did you receive the injury, do you have any tingling or numbness there?
4.) Do you feel, your heart is beating faster?

Kindly don't worry as there seems to be nothing serious as what your Doctor is saying is absolutely right, the booster dose of tetanus shot would be enough even after you have received it a week after the injury and if you have not received it in the last five years.

If your doctor has found that the wound is infected or dirty, he/she will treat you accordingly with antibiotics and antiseptic creams with regular dressings.

Follow this piece of advice for wound care:

1.) Keep the wound dry and clean.
2.) Change the dressing regularly.
3.) Keep the wound covered until it shows signs of healing.
4.) See your doctor immediately if you develop regular fever, change in size and shape of wound, pain or swelling.
5.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Puncture wound from rusty nail. cleaned with peroxide, put neosporin. received tetanus injection two days later. Chances of infection ? 42 hours later
Thank you Dr Tauseef for answering my question.
I do, in fact, have just one more question. I am having muscle twinges, like when your eye spasm. They are not spasms or cramps, just minor twinges. I would like to make sure that that does not pertain to my injury.

To answer your questions above, I do not have any redness or swelling. There are no signs of infections. The wound was in my calf. I am not running sort of fever. I am not feeling any numbness. My heart is not beating fast.
Thank you for your time, Dr

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 27 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you once again for Writing back to me.

You have absolutely normal history and there seems to be nothing serious. The Muscle twitching which you have been experiencing might be due to,

1.) Dietary deficiency, that is multivitamin deficiency.
2.) Excess caffeine intake.
3.) Heavy exercise
4.) Unknown reasons.

It may not be related to your injury, kindly don't worry. Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Just follow your doctor's orders, follow my advices, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Wish you good Health.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.