Ptosis in the eye, nerve paralysis, diabetes. Thyroid test normal. Treatment?

Hi... My father is suffering from ptosis in left eye , one of neurologist told his eye nerve got paralytic,so he could not able to lift his eyelid.he is a diabetic patient too. he has undergone thyroid test also and it came normal.his age is 70+. So can you please let me know if there is any treatment that can be done in Hyderabad?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 18 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Your father needs to have a detailed neurological examination to rule out involvement of any other muscle in the paralysis. This drooping of the eye lid can be an isolated paralysis or can be a part of a wider deficit.
He also needs a blood sugar level to rule out any complication of diabetes.
A CT scan (computerised tomography scan) is also recommended to rule out any other neurological deficit.
Basically, he needs the care of a ophthalmologist, neurologist and an endocrinologist to solve this issue.
In the meanwhile, he can continue with B complex vitamins as a supplement. He can take Tablet Becosules 1 tablet once a day 1 hour before breakfast. This care would be available at any multispecialty hospital in Hyderabad.
I hope he gets well soon. I hope I have addressed your concerns. I would be available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Ptosis in the eye, nerve paralysis, diabetes. Thyroid test normal. Treatment? 4 hours later

My father is undergoing some electrical conduction test also.
Can Ptosis be cured?? How much time generally it takes for treatment?
Can LVPrasad eye hospital be the better place to get this treatment?If so who would be the best doctor with whom we can consult in LVPrasad eye hospital.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 11 hours later

LVP is a very good hospital for eye problems; but your father's eye problem is not primarily an eye problem and the reason lies elsewhere. This reason is to be pointed out to start proper treatment.

This is a nerve paralysis, which has involved the eye. The investigations and examination is to be aimed at finding out the cause.

I feel, you have to contact primarily a neurologist to investigate your father. The reasons can be either diabetes or any intracranial pathology - that is why a Computed Tomography (CT) scan or a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is imperative along with a thorough neurological examination.

Ptosis due to diabetes is self limiting, but if it was due to any other reason any time wasted is uncalled for. Find out a proper neurologist near you otherwise do get back to me for neurologist.

Hope it is clear to you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wish you speedy recovery.