Ask a Urologist   »  

Prostatomegaly, blood in urine, bothered by frequency and urgency. Treatments and likely outcome?

Oncologist
Question
HI
My 95 year old father has significant prostatomegaly a large post-void risidual urine and generalised renal parenchymal thinning.
He has blood in his urine and is bothered by frequency and urgency day and night.
What are the treatments and likely outcome please?

thanks
XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

For this kind of thing certainly a consultation with a urologist is indicated. In addition there are several different medications which have been approved for prostatic enlargement. These medications are widely available in both generic and namebrand formation and include Proscar, Avodart and finasteride. I believe any of these would be a safe start to help shrink the prostate and allow for adequate bladder drainage.

Sometimes a urologist may recommend a TURP which is a procedure by which a catheter is inserted up the urethra and to the area of the prostate. At that point some of the prostate tissue is removed to allow for adequate passage of urine.

I really think he would benefit greatly from a consultation with a skilled urologist who may offer him both medical or surgical possible interventions. The outcome might improve his quality of life significantly.

I thank you again for the query and hope this response has served to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Prostatomegaly, blood in urine, bothered by frequency and urgency. Treatments and likely outcome? 16 hours later
Thank-you . What do you think the blood indicates ? I forgot to say that he is anemic from the blood loss , so his urine must have quite a bit of blood in it.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

Regarding the anemia which you have referred to there are likely more than one contributing factor. The most likely contribute factor is that he is losing a small or moderate amount of blood in the hearing either from bladder or kidney inflammation. In addition the kidney produces a very important hormone called erythropoietin. This hormone regulates the body's production of red blood cells. I am thinking that your father very likely has a deficiency of this hormone in addition to the fact that he is losing a little bit of blood in the urinary tract his general doctor may consider giving him a hormone supplementation to help the kidney with hormone production. This hormone shot is sometimes referred to as Epo. His doctor can actually check his natural level of this hormone to see if there is some type of deficiency.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga