Having pain on and off between shoulder and hip. Seems like organ pain and not muscular. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been having pain on and off on my left side about halfway between my shoulder and hip. It has been very sporadic over the last 10 years - I probably went 6 years without any pain but now over the past few months I've experienced this pain more frequently. It only comes during the later part of my sleep and only after I've irinating 2 times. I've been logging what I eat and can't see any consistencies when the pain arrives from what I've had the prior evening or day. I'm in good shape - ran a marathon in XXXXXXX and maintain an active lifestyle. This seems like an XXXXXXX organ pain and not muscular. The last few notes I'd add are that sitting up generally helps this pain go away after about 15 minutes.
Would love any advice.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most possibly due to Kidney problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The area lying between shoulder girdle and hip region is termed as Flank or Loin.

The most common cause of pain in the flank or loin is a Kidney problem or Loin pain is a sign of underlying Kidney disease unless proved otherwise. To get relief from an acute attack of pain, an analgesic like tramadol along with an antispasmodic like dicyclomine will relieve the symptoms.

Common disorders of the kidney known to cause loin pain are Renal inflammation or infection, Renal stone, Ultrasound examination of the whole abdomen will usually diagnoses the condition. If this is inconclusive, an MRI scan may be needed.

As your symptoms have been occuring (on and off) far the past 10 years, I suggest you to get a detailed evaluation to diagnose the exact problem.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further