Prescribed cipro. Feel fogg and stomach hurts. Stopped cipros. Having frequent urination. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My doctor prescribed cipro 500mg twice a day for fifteen days im on day four and my sides hurt and a little in the back. I feel foggy and my stomach hurts almost like a dull ache. I have another doctors appointment in two days should I stop taking the cipro or tough it out until I see the doctor in two days. He prescribed it for a infection for prostate and possible another infection somewhere else I forget what he said. I cant really tell if the infection is getting better because I still urinate a lot.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
well,these are not common side effects of cipro,but it is possible.
Also, your pain back and sides can be sign of uroinfection and kidney inflammation so I am not sure if this is caused by cipro. It takes 5-7 days till cipro starts to work so you should be patient for bit more and see will there be improvement. If symptoms persist you can ask your doctor to decrease dosage and take 2x250mg per day which is enough for noncomplicated prostate infections. Try to take cipro with some food such as bread or milk products,it will be less irritable for your stomach.If nothing helps, you should stop it and take another antibiotics and many of them can be used for prostate infection,but as I said be patient amd try to take it for all 14 days if you can. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards