Pricked by hair of bleeding cat. Do I need vaccination like rabies?

I am resident of Punjab, India. few days back, 5 days back to be precise, a stray cat was accidentally hit by my car in front of my house and died there after bleeding a lot. I was really upset and tense about this. And kept thinking of it for an hour or so. Then to do what ever i could i picked the cat by hand and buried it in a pit. However i felt that during this picking the hairs of cat pricked my hand. I could feel the irritation of pricking though i could not find any visible scratches.
Now my query is that do i need any kind of vaccination like rabies etc.
In case you recommend that, then i would like to mention here that i had a suspected bite case in 6 months ago. Then i had three injections of rabipur at intervals of 0, 3 and 7 days. Will that protection be still available in mybody or do i need to get fresh vaccination. If yes then what course of vaccination should i follow?
Please advice. I am really tense. I will be very thankful to you for this.
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Infections
Follow-up: Pricked by hair of bleeding cat. Do I need vaccination like rabies? 9 minutes later
It is worth mentioning here that i get anxiety very soon. Even last time it was just out of fear that i had the course of those three injections otherwise there wasn't any requirement. I was just touched by the animal at that time. Now if i go for further vaccination will it have any side effects on my body? I could not sleep last night because of this tension.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later
The chances of getting a rabies infection by the way you hav edescribed is very unlikely. A direct contact with blood or body secretions liek saliva is needed for the infection to occur.
Since you had a full course of anti rabies vaccination just six months back ,you really don`t need to repeat vaccination. You are already immunised as the effect of a single course of vaccination persists for three years.
Please do not worry and just relax.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.