Prescribed with xanax. Previously taking klonopin. Does it have any side effects?

Hi. I am a young boy who was prescribed xanax.. Instantly got hooked i took 8mg-10mg this morning an about 10-12mg now. I have taken klonopin for over 2 years til they changed me to xanax so my benzo tolerance is pretty high. if i continue this will i die? Is this a deadly dose to kill me? I drink NO alcohol at all the reason please dont judge me i am greiving heavily over a death of a very very close loved one. Please dont be a therapist an answer ny question directly i have 2 beautiful twin nephews im 17 im to youn to die
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, it is not good, not lethal though.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for asking. As you mentioned, people who have been taking a medication from this class for a long time will have tolerance to these kind of medications. It means that they may need a high dose of medication to be effective. The problems is that it dulls your emotions so you feel that you do not have anxiety. However, you will not have the chance to grieve for your loved one so the grief will last too long. If you want to decrease the dose, you should ask the doctor to give you a medication to regulate the mood (it could be from the class of SSRI if he realizes that it would be fine with you to take it). Then he will lessen this medication. However, it is not lethal with this dose if you have een taking for a long time. Best