Why am I unable to focus on my daily activities after taking seroquel for panic attacks?

i have been on xanax on and off from many years for panic attacks, I have only took them in emergencies. In the last year I have only taken 6 at 0.5 in the last year. My Dr told me i am not allowed to take them anymore and has put me on seroquel XR 100mg at night, they make me sleep better but the next day I get up feeling like a zombie and cannot concentrate and feel like I have no energy, feel like crying and do not want to be on my own, cannot focus on the usually daily activities , I am usually very active and am help others, I have been on efexor-xr 75mg at day prior before. I was so bad I visited a medical two days prior to today and saw another as our family DR is on holidays and now I am taking 50mg night seroquel XR and 75mg of efexor in the morning and as the panic attack happened again this morning i want to know if i can still take a 0.5mg of xanax without causing problems. My Dr does not what xanax so what can i take that has the same effect as I am allergic to codeine and morphine . I would appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Taking venalafaxine will help, may take Xanax SOS Detailed Answer: hello XXXXXXX welcome to HCM! I have read our question and can see that you have anxiety disorder since long time but you would take on- off Xanax for the panic attacks, from past some time---> then you have been shifted to seroquel ( quetiapine 100 mg) , and due to sedation, dosage was changed to quetiapine 50 mg with venalafaxine 75 mg. You continue to have anxiety, and you want to ask ifs you may take Xanax for it without any problems. First of all, I would like to tell you that panic attacks happen when there is severe intensity of anxiety in some one, so basically it is baseline anxiety which should be handled properly to eradicate panic attacks. Taking Xanax on SOS basis is not a good option. Your doctor is very right in saying this. He does not want you to go for something which will not treat you but just do symptomatic managment. So, starting other regular medicine is a right option. Secondly, quetiapine is a molecule which cause more sedation for first few days, then it usually weans off...I usually start it in a very low dose in begining, like 12.5-25 mg at night. It has ok results in anxiety patients. Moreover, one can shift to Sustained release perparation, which has little sedation. thirdly, venalafaxine is a very good drug for managing anxiety, which even if given alone, will help anxiety just within a few days of starting. I usually prefer it in anyone with long standing anxiety. With that, one may need Xanax for some time, but lately, Xanax is usually not at all required and patients himself leaves Xanax. So, talk to your doctor for decidining between venalafaxine or quiteaipne in your case, I can say that venalafaxine alone is enough, moreover you have issues with seroquel at present. For panic attacks, I do let my patients take Xanax 0.25-0.5 mg occasionally, but not for long. I go for increasing the dosage of venalafaxine, for complete managment of anxiety. I hope the reply is useful Feel free to seek more clarifications if you need, or if you are satisfied then kindly rate the answer. Good luck and get well! Dr. Manisha Gopal
Follow-up: Why am I unable to focus on my daily activities after taking seroquel for panic attacks? 3 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thank you, very much for the information you supplied about concerns I had with my medications. You have set my mind at rest an I will speak to my Local Dr further. Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: thank you too! Good luck.. Detailed Answer: hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HCM! Hope you are doing good. I'm also happy that I was able to help you with your concerns. This is even more satisfying for a doctor. Thank you. ## I would also say that one must put continuous efforts to make his body and mind healthy. Always keep fitness of your body above anything else. Donot let stigma or fear decide for your life. Hope you get the best of health! Good luck and happy new year... feel free to ask more questions Dr. Manisha Gopal