Prescribed with azithromycin for sore throat. Tired and pressure in throat. Reason?

I went to walkin clinic. Had very sore throat. Like razors in my throat. They did rapid strep was neg. but said I had some sort of infection in throat. Prescribed azithromycin. On first day of taking it . I feel a strong pressure In my throat almost like something stuck. Feel very weak not well. It's the third day throat soreness going away. But such intense pressure in throat. I do have thyroid nodules. One time it got so large had this feeling had to have it drained.
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Common side effect of Azithromycine, thyroid evaluation required.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The good news is that the soreness is disappearing. It is not rare to experience tiredness while taking Azithromycine. You need not bother. I suggest you drink much water and be patient, the symptoms should settle down very soon.

In case the pressure on swallowing was present before the sore throat episode, it might be necessary to attribute the difficulties in swallowing to compression from a thyroid mass. An ultrasound of the thyroid region shall be very useful. In case enlarged, evaluation of thyroid function through specific tests, and seeking the opinion of the endocrinologist could be useful. He could be helpful to decide if treatment could be medical or surgical. First, to consider a thyroid problem, a proper physical exam and an ultrasound are important baseline exams.

Do not bother concerning the tiredness for its very common with Azithromycine. Persistence of swallowing disorders will warrant exclusion of a thyroid mass, or compression from other nearby structures. The opinion of an ENt specialist, ultrasound and an endocrinologist if diagnosed positive could help.

Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you need specific clarifications.

Bain LE, MD
Follow-up: Prescribed with azithromycin for sore throat. Tired and pressure in throat. Reason? 20 hours later
I just wanted to let you know that I went to my GP today and I had blisters or ulcers in my mouth and down my throat. That it was a virus and not strep. Had fever feel crappy. He put me on antiviral and have to go back on Monday for checkup. I know you did not know about ulcers in my mouth and throat. My GP said that is why I have had a hard time swallowing. Thank you anyway for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the update

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the update and kind regards as I wish you good health.

Bain LE, MD