Prescribed oxycodone for back aches. Half of stomach was removed thinking as cancer. Having ulcers. Urine test is negative. What to do?

I have been prescribed oxycodone for back aches and Fiorinol for migraine headaches. I had to have half of my stomach removed in 2005 for what was thought to be cancer, however later it was proven to be really bad ulcers. Now due to Ga. laws when you are given narcotics you are also given a urine test. I take my medication as directed, however my doctor says my test are showing negative for the drugs and that he is no longer going to prescribe them. I am 62 years of age. I am not abusing my drugs why are my test showing negative?
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat the urine test.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you s much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this difficulty with your pain medications. I know it would be difficult being without these drugs.
It is very rare to get a negative screen when these drugs are correctly taken. My immediate suspicion is that the laboratory could have made a mistake. Though they always strive for 100% accuracy, there could still be a problem with the testing procedure. My first reflex is that we should repeat this test. If it still returns negative, then it would be even harder to convince the medical community that you are actually taking your drugs as prescribed. How have you always performed on the previous testings or is this the first time that this test was done?

If returns negative and you are very sure of the fact that you are taking the drug as prescribed, then propose to your doctor that you would take a dose under direct observation and be tested later to see if it is something new that is going on in your system. After direct observation and testing, if the results are not negative then am afraid that it would be impossible to convince any one that you actually take this drug as prescribed. if it still turns out negative, then it gives us the chance to update our knowledge with such a finding noting it as a rare possibility.

I honestly hope that this proves you right so that you can continue to get the treatment that you deserve.
I wish you well. Feel free to ask me follow up questions if need be and I would gladly address them.
Thanks for this opportunity to address your query today.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Prescribed oxycodone for back aches. Half of stomach was removed thinking as cancer. Having ulcers. Urine test is negative. What to do? 1 hour later
Since part of my stomach was removed and I had a new GI completed last week, my physician informed I was producing a large amount of bile or acid could this have and effects on the results? I am at a loss as what to do.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up.

I have never heard of bile acids being responsible for false negatives on urine testing for drugs.

As I mentioned before, repeat this test and make sure the results are consistently negative. If they remain negative, then fight on as suggested above to prove your sincerity and innocence.

I understand your frustration but am sorry it is really not a typical finding in medicine. Hope something works out good for you.

Dr. Ditah, MD