Pregnant was told not to travel. Have low lying placenta covering OS completely. Anything serious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi i am 11 weeks pregnant and was told not to do travelling. I have placenta is inserted in lower segment and is covering the inernal os completely . I want to ask is it serious matter and i have to go mumbai is it safe travelling by train or by flight.
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not Serious At This Stage. Flight Is Safe.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on XXXXXXX

As per your information, your placenta is situated in the lower segment which covers XXXXXXX os completely. However, diagnosing a low lying placenta at 11 weeks is too early. The placenta is not completely formed yet. It is not serious at this stage.

Low lying placenta is seen in some percentage women in late first trimester or early 2nd trimester. It is less significant until 3rd trimester. At this stage, you need not to worry.

Over the time (during 3rd trimester), as uterus is enlarged, the lower part of the uterus also grows and stretches, taking the placenta with it to move upwards in most of the cases. Though, in 0.5% of cases, the placenta doesn’t move up with the uterus and antepartum hemorrhage (like placenta previa) may develop in late 3rd trimester with related risk to baby.

Here, complete monitoring is mandatory. Therefore, I suggest you to undergo 2nd ultrasound scan after 20 weeks to check the placental status. If there is same picture, you will most probably be put on bed rest.Then you will have to do third ultrasound after 32 weeks to see if the placenta has moved away from the os. You need to consult with your obstetrician for proper management if any complication arises.

Next thing, air travel (flight) is quite safe for most healthy pregnant women but each airline has a different regulation for pregnant fliers. It is considered safe up to 32-36 weeks of pregnancy for single baby. Short period travel (4-6 hrs) is advisable. No train journey is advisable for you.

You also need permission from your consulting obstetrician with clearance of airline and rule out other possible risk factors like Past History of Preterm labor, Vaginal bleeding, High BP, Diabetes, Anemia, Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) or Air Embolism, Problem with high altitude etc.

If your doctor permits for traveling by flight, you must take some medicine in your kit bag to avoid pregnancy related problems like heartburn, skin complaints, nausea, vomiting etc. Keep sanitary napkin for emergency purpose.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant was told not to travel. Have low lying placenta covering OS completely. Anything serious? 8 hours later
Hi doctors i have seen your reply i am 11 week pregnant and advised not to travel .i have placenta is inserted in lower segment and is covering the XXXXXXX os completely. Advice me when should i travel and by flight or by train should i travel. I want to know everthing is fine in me and actually i want to go home and have rest dere because noone is here to look after me . My husband do have a business of travelling ao he cant be all time stay with me . Actually i live in raipur and want to go mumbai . Its 1.30 hours journey by flight and by train 20 hours .And my doctors not advising me to travel . I am in a confusion please guide me

Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Flight Is Safe But Wait For 2nd USG Scan.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up query.

Placenta within lower segment of uterus is more prone to bleeding or pregnancy loss in the 2nd to 3rd trimester. However, chance is quite low as placenta moves upwards with enlargement of uterus in most cases. Therefore, bed rest is advisable with avoiding long journey/ heavy work/ too much bending etc to reduce risks.

If your doctor do not permit you for traveling at this stage, it is better to wait another 2 months to proceed 2nd ultrasound scan at 20 weeks. If everything is fine and placenta is moving upwards, you will be relatively risk free from antepartum hemorrhage in 3rd trimester. Then you are allowed to travel for short duration trip.

In my opinion, short duration journey (1.30 hrs) by flight is more safe in comparison to long journey (20 hrs) by train.

Hope, I have cleared your confusion. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant was told not to travel. Have low lying placenta covering OS completely. Anything serious? 7 hours later
Hi doctors i am 11 week pregnant i have placenta is inserted in lower segment and is covering the XXXXXXX os completely. My doctors saying its serious case and u have to take rest. But i told her its just 11 week. So according you its too early and need not to worry. Please guide me

Answered by Dr. S Patra 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't Worry At This Stage. Need 2nd USG Scan.

Detailed Answer:

Placenta in the lower uterine segment (covers XXXXXXX os) at 11 weeks is not a diagnosing criteria for future risk of placena previa or antepartum hemorrhage which is more prevalent in 3rd trimester.

In my experience, I have seen several patients, present with low lying placenta in the late first trimester or early 2nd trimester. Most of them deliver a health baby with placenta upwards and without complication. Risk of placenta previa in 3rd trimester is only 0.5% with relative risk of growing baby.

Here, I suggest you to undergo one 2nd ultrasound scan at 20 weeks to check the status of placenta. After that, you must consult with your doctor. Till then, you would take adequate bed rest, prescribed medication, protein XXXXXXX healthy diet, drink more water, avoid traveling or long journey. This will help to reduce future risk of vaginal bleeding or pregnancy loss in the later months.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience. Don't be worried.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant was told not to travel. Have low lying placenta covering OS completely. Anything serious? 14 hours later
Hi doctors thank you for the suggestion. I am 11 week pregnant and have placenta is inserted is inserted in lower segment and is covering the XXXXXXX os completely. . Should i drink coconut water and suggest me what kind of juice to drink and what type of mineral supplement to take during this and should i go for a walk for 10 minutes in the morning.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Coconut Water Is Recommended. Walk For 10 Min.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your additional queries. Followings are my comments:

1) Yes, you can drink coconut water in pregnancy period. It is a natural drink and greatly recommended. It is XXXXXXX in high amount of sodium, potassium, other minerals, vitamins and antioxidants which are much needed for better growth and development of baby. It reduces heart burn, constipation, urinary infection, nausea & vomiting and strengthens body immune system.

2) Only fresh home made juice is advisable. No outside juice is allowed during pregnancy period. You can take juices made by XXXXXXX mulberry, prune, lemon tangerine, cucumber, broccoli etc. These are XXXXXXX in vitamin C, minerals, folic acid etc. However, you should not drink these in large amount.

3) In pregnancy period, iron and calcium are essential minerals and to be taken 16 weeks onwards till delivery of baby and thereafter. You can consume fresh fruits and vegetables which are XXXXXXX in sodium, potassium, magnesium, zinc etc.

4) Yes, you can walk in the morning for 10 min. However, you would avoid uneven surface and high heal shoes which leads to fall on ground.

Hope, I have answered your all queries. Please write a review after closing the discussion if you have no other query.

Good luck.

Dr Soumen